Sometimes he embarrassed his wife,
他的這種態(tài)度有時候叫他妻子感到很尷尬。
and the only time I saw her put out of countenance was when he insisted on telling me that he had taken a purge,
我見到她惱羞成怒只有一次。那次施特略夫非要告訴我他服瀉藥的事不可,
and went into somewhat realistic details on the subject.
而且說得繪聲繪色。
The perfect seriousness with which he narrated his misfortunes convulsed me with laughter, and this added to Mrs. Stroeve's irritation.
在他給我描述這件災禍時,他的臉色一本正經,結果我差點兒笑破了肚皮,而施特略夫太太則窘得無地自容,終于冒起火來。
You seem to like making a fool of yourself, she said.
“你好象愿意把自己當個傻瓜似的,”她說。
His round eyes grew rounder still, and his brow puckered in dismay as he saw that she was angry.
當他看到自己的老婆真的生起氣來的時候,他的一對圓眼睛瞪得更圓了,眉毛也不知所措地皺了起來。
Sweetheart, have I vexed you?
“親愛的,你生我的氣了嗎?
I'll never take another.
我再也不吃瀉藥了。
It was only because I was bilious.
這都是因為我肝火太旺的緣故。
I lead a sedentary life.
我整天坐著不動。
I don't take enough exercise.
我的運動不夠。
For three days I hadn't...
我有三天沒有……”
For goodness sake, hold your tongue, she interrupted, tears of annoyance in her eyes.
“老天啊,你還不閉嘴!”她打斷了他的話,因為氣惱而迸出眼淚來。
His face fell, and he pouted his lips like a scolded child.
他的臉耷拉下來,象是個挨了訓的孩子似地撅起嘴來。
He gave me a look of appeal, so that I might put things right, but, unable to control myself, I shook with helpless laughter.
他向我遞了個懇求的眼色,希望我替他打個圓場,可是我卻無法控制自己,笑得直不起腰來。
We went one day to the picture-dealer in whose shop Stroeve thought he could show me at least two or three of Strickland's pictures,
有一天我們一起到一個畫商那里去,施特略夫認為他至少可以讓我看到兩三張思特里克蘭德的畫。
but when we arrived were told that Strickland himself had taken them away.
但是在我們到了那里以后,畫商卻告訴我們,思特里克蘭德已經把畫取走了。
The dealer did not know why.
畫商也不知道他為什么要這樣做。
But don't imagine to yourself that I make myself bad blood on that account.
“不要認為我為這件事感到惱火。
I took them to oblige Monsieur Stroeve, and I said I would sell them if I could.
我接受他的畫都是看在施特略夫先生的面上。我告訴他我盡量替他賣。
But really— He shrugged his shoulders.
但是說真的——”他聳了聳肩膀。
"I'm interested in the young men, but voyons, you yourself, Monsieur Stroeve, you don't think there's any talent there."
“我對年輕人是有興趣的,可是施待略夫先生,你自己也知道,你也并不認為他們中有什么天才?!?/p>